new


Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Perception

As I was leaveing for work yesterday I ran into one of my neighbors. It was great to see her so I stopped to chat. She is a single Mom who teaches elementary school and has great personality. Super fun girl and is always the life of the party.

As I got out of the car she complimented me and said that I looked pretty in my business suit and how much she liked my hair. I'm never one to accept compliments very well so I laughed it off and told her thank you. She mentioned how she thinks my job must be so much fun and told me that she would love to have my life. It was a great compliment but made me a little uncomfortable. The entire way to work I thought about her comment and couldn't help to say... "If she only knew how my life was going". Guess her perception is much different from my reality.

Kimmi this blog is for you. Did you know this....

My hair looked different because I overslept and didn't have time to wash it. It was very dirty a little greasy and may have even smelled dirty. I was worried all day that someone would notice. Thanks for making me feel a little better about it.

On my drive in to work I spent half an hour on the phone with one of my sales people having a very uncomfortable conversation that I'm still not sure I have let go of yet.

My daughter cried so hard when I left the house that I started to cry and that was the exact moment that I saw you. I wiped my tears away before I got out of my car to say hello (bet you didn't see that).

I love my job and I work for an amazing company but in the last 6 months I have been at a stress level of 236%.

My lovely suit is one size too small so I had to pour myself into Spanx to so it would fit right making it difficult to breathe all day.

The cute trendy sunglasses you complemented me on are the ones I got off the sales rack at Dillard's during the summer clearance sale. I bought 4 pairs that day and they are the only ones that have not broken yet.

My point here is that perception is always different then reality. Yesterday morning you thought I had it all together when in reality I felt like I was just hanging by a string. So I ask my bolg followers out there (all 4 of you) what do you think people's perception is of you? And how does it differ from your reality?

Kimmi - I think you are an amazing Mom and teacher. You are able to bring great amounts of joy into the lives of those around you and are tons of fun to hang out with. You are always happy and willing to help anyone out. That is my perception of you.

Thank God for perception.

3 comments:

Juli Evans said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juli Evans said...

(sorry to many typos in my last attempt to post this so I just started over - ha!)

Wow! What a powerful post, Tracy! We all do this...assume everyone else has it together while we silently struggle to at least look like we do. I found myself doing this yesterday while I was at a red light...I looked over and the girl next to me driving her big, brand new Land Cruiser...hair and make-up done...jewelry sparkling in the sunlight...I couldn't help but think...must be nice to have it all together like that...well, chances are she looked at someone else yesterday and felt the same way. thanks for the reminder this morning, Tracy :)

Blonde Momma said...

I LOVED, LOVED this! Perception is NOT reality. We get so caught up in "the grass is always greener on the other side" mentality. I could speak to this for hours right now.